Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter Sunday

Friday, our family went to the church building for the first time on a Good Friday. It was so good to remember what a great price Christ had to pay for us. I really think the girls were both marked by it. Brody even watched the images of His crucifixion and was contently quiet, which was an answer to prayer!

We then attended the Easter service at our church building on Saturday night. Sunday morning I woke thinking about Easter. Unfortunately, I began the morning feeling guilty that I had not made a bigger deal of Easter baskets and was feeling like my kids were being robbed of the joy of waking up to a big basket full of goodies. I remembered the excitement I felt as a little one, the anticipation, sheer gladness of chocolate bunnies and the thought of an Easter bunny visiting my house - it made me feel special.

My thoughts were quickly placed in check Sunday morning - when I saw that Stephen put in The Passion of the Christ DVD. We were watching Jesus suffer and understanding how unworthy we were all over again. The girls were watching, too. Sydney didn't seem to understand the gravity of it, but Abby was taking it all in. (We did ask her to turn her head for certain parts but she watched most of it with us.)

Easter is all about God crushing his precious Son because He loves us so. Easter is about the sheer joy the women and disciples experienced when they realized the tomb was empty. I want my joy and my kids' joy to be because of God's power, faithfulness, love, His wonder. It is a blast to follow Him! The bunnies, chocolate and eggs are fun and are fine but if I miss HIM I've missed it all.

Sunday afternoon we drove to my grandmother's house. We then enjoyed a great Sunday lunch, a truly fun time with family and a high-energy egg hunt. The girls made memories there, too, I'm sure. I just hope that when they remember this Easter, they remember Christ most. I know I will! (Jesus, thank you!)

Here are some pictures we took at Gran's:



1 comment:

Kelley said...

Yes, enjoy that the kids are getting the true meaning. I asked Sophie again yesterday "what is Easter about" and she yet again answered "hunting eggs" Although we have talked about Jesus and read several books about Easter, it's the egg hunt that is sticking with her. -Kelley