Wednesday night was a hard one. Lee Anne and Stephen began vomiting violently all night, and several other men had "the other problem" in the night. (Most think it was lunch.)
At 2:30 am, the men were laughing hysterically and it was heard in the ladies' room next door. Apparently Stephen was really funny after he completely emptied the contents of his stomach. Loudly.
But our room was more somber. Praying for Lee Anne to have strength in the suffering. It was awful.
We woke a little early that morning because we had to pack up and leave Selva Negra. This was my "parting shot":
And this was Stephen leading worship. With a fever and not much strength at all.
The day was long for Lee Anne. She suffered with nausea, terrible headaches, and fever. It ended with two IV bags at the church. We thought she'd have to go to the hospital because she was so dehydrated, it was difficult to find her veins. But God had a nurse in the pastor's class who went to the local pharmacy to buy needles and equipment small enough to make it happen. God is so good to have done that!
So Lee Anne got an IV in front of the church, next to the pig. How often does one get to say that?
Another picture from the church:
And another sunset, to remind my heart He's still got it all!
The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship. Psalm 19:1 (NLT)
Doris got sick as soon as the graduation ceremony started. At the church. :( I felt so terribly for her.
We opted out of dinner, so we waited as Fabricio paid Norman for preparing it and asked him to share the food with his neighbors. Meanwhile Lee Anne finished her IV, and I love this picture because the two sickest ones were still laughing.
A cheerful heart brings good healing, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 (NET)
I got a final picture with little Jessica:
Some of the sick ones still recovering, and doing it with joy:
And we finally got a team picture. In the dark.
We stopped at a gas station next to a Tip Top so the CFCI guys could eat something substantial. Wes, Matt, and I were still well so we opted for snacks for dinner. Although I think when those two meandered into Tip Top, they got some real food there, too.
I thought Brody would love this Mario image taped to the straw cup:
My dinner: Snickers, Cheese Pringles (because they have protein, right?), and a bottled water. The Coke and Powerade were for Stephen.
I think this was the hardest day for me. But as I sat in the car between Stephen struggling and Lee Anne hooked up to her IV, I was reminded how God accomplished all that He wanted to through our team, in spite of the sickness. His strength was displayed in our weakness.
Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
2 Corinthians 12:9 (NLT)
Thursday night, Ken gave Stephen and I the Gumby award for being flexible. Stephen was super flexible in preaching a new sermon at the last minute and leading worship and helping on the panel while really sick.


No comments:
Post a Comment