Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Closet

Two Fridays ago I had a meltdown. I was 30 weeks pregnant and we'd done almost nothing to prepare for our baby boy. Sydney was sleeping in Abby's room at night but not napping there. All of Sydney's clothes were still in the nursery and there are pink girly things all over the walls. Stephen kindly agreed to buy and install closet organizer pieces to match the design I created the next day. We got up early for a Saturday. We spent most of the morning at Lowe's making sure we had all the pieces. We bought a kit to save $50 and planned to cut everything at home (because for some reason the Lowe's employees won't use their super duper "scissors" to cut closet pieces out of a kit). The man said it was "simple" and you could just use a hacksaw. $50 is a lot of money to us. It wasn't after the day was finished.

At lunchtime we had to feed the kids so we ate out. We came home and put Sydney in her crib and allowed Abby to watch a video. 45 minutes later we'd opened everything, placed it on the floor and started to read directions. We cut, measured, held up, cut again, measured, questioned measurements, measured again, tried to understand "directions", measured again, went to Ace to get drill bits the package said we needed and didn't, changed the batteries in our stud finder - just to find out it "was that bad" and then finally got the back supports on the wall. Meanwhile, Abby and Sydney were done with naps, videos, and book time and wanted to help with the tools. Pieces and parts started disappearing. Sydney was determined play with the hacksaw. Then we remembered that we'd promised Abby we'd take her to Baskin Robbins on Saturday. It was Saturday. Stephen worked while I took them for ice cream. It was late. After changing the blade in the hacksaw 3 times and watching Stephen saw away at those shelves I decided to go back to Lowe's - more determined than ever to have them use their "special scissors".

We tried a different Lowe's. The guy wasn't nice at first but I continued to be kind and I think he felt sorry for the tired pregnant lady with two kids who didn't want to be in a cart and for her husband who looked exhausted! The man cut the shelves with his special "scissors" and then he hacksawed the poles on his little bench thing. I didn't see that part. Abby had to go potty. I don't think she really needed to go, she was just bored but I did miss the part that would have made me feel guilty.


Sometime around 11:30 pm I put Abby to bed. All the clothes I'd organized to go in the closet "just so" covered our bedroom so I couldn't just let it go. It was Saturday night...the night before Sunday...our craziest day of the week.

Abby was so tired the next morning she couldn't even eat her Sunday morning pop-tart. Sydney was fine - she slept in the crib.

I moved the toys back into the room the next day after spending a fortune on bins to put the toys in. That was another trip to Lowe's.

I am happy to announce that Sydney is napping in the new organized room and has diapers, clothes, bows and all personal items there. If the girls were not sleeping I would run in and take a picture of that closet for you.


I still haven't moved the girly stuff out of the nursery. Maybe I'll take it all down right now and put it in our bedroom. I can put a "half" check mark on my to-do list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We just went through something similar putting Drew in bunk beds. I can completely understand! If it makes you feel any better, at 38 weeks we realized we didn't even have a car seat for Drew! Of course, we'd have to subtract at least two weeks for you since those babies like to come early, but by our standards, you're working ahead!