Monday, April 14, 2008

Sydney Turns Three

Sydney turned 3 on Friday. One of my friends said she thought her birthday was on April 12th. That's probably because she was born at 11:58 pm on April 11th. The doctors wouldn't let me wait to push. It's just another one of those things I tried to plan and God had the last word. I laugh now every time I think about that! (For those of you that didn't know, April 12th is 11 days after Stephen's birthday and Abby's birthday is 11 days after mine - I know, it's lame.)

It is hard for me to believe that day was three years ago. I was secretly hoping for a boy up UNTIL the time that I started to labor...I started thinking about all the things I loved about little girls and all that I didn't know about boys. I was so excited Sydney was a little girl! She is such a blessing to us!

Sydney is so full of energy! She is our little performer. She loves to make people laugh, to sing for them or to dramatically react to something that happens. She puts all her energy into what she does, whether it is hugging you and telling you how much she loves you or just going to her room - it's full speed ahead, so watch out inanimate objects. She does fall a lot and scrape her knees, but she comes by that honestly. Her mother is quite clumsy!

We allowed her to choose all her favorite things for her birthday. This was her meal plan for the day:

  • Breakfast: pumpkin oatmeal with milk (and she had a little coffee in her milk).
  • Lunch: macaroni and cheese (with deceptively delicious cauliflower puree), broccoli, green beans, chocolate milk and a mini chocolate ice cream cone.
  • Snack: PEANUT BUTTER and a Reese's cup
  • Dinner: Boston Pizzeria - Two large adult-size pepperoni pizza slices, a sprite, half of her complimentary birthday cheesecake AND a lollipop

**Disclaimer: This does not reflect a normal day of eating in the Fowler household. :)

We told Sydney when she turns 3, she can eat peanut butter. She responded, "And when Abby turns 3, SHE can have soy butter!" :)

When the big day came, she was hesitant because we had been so strict about it before. I'm not so sure she trusted me when I told her it would not make her sick. And I wasn't sure it would not make her sick. I am grateful that she loves peanut butter and we did not need to borrow an epipen, afterall. She's started asking for it by the spoonful after her first taste. And since she loves chocolate so much, we would not be good parents if we deprived her of discovering the beauty of tasting chocolate and peanut butter together - enter Reese's cups!

Sydney's birthday party was a whole event in itself. She's been planning her party since before Christmas. The problem was that her party theme was ever changing. Since I couldn't ever "pin her down" to one theme, we threw her a "My Favorite Things" birthday party! This consisted of Dora invitations, a Care Bear cake topper, butterfly birthday hats, My Little Pony plates and My Little Pony napkins and pink princess cups. The menu consisted of chocolate frosted cupcakes with sprinkles and a little chocolate ice cream to wash it down - see messy pictures below:

haley, tess and sydney - lots of chocolate, everywhere!

sydney in one of her favorite gifts - a "horsey" dress (a.k.a. polo ralph lauren) that mimi gave her

macy (left) laughing and sydney and abby (right) "cheesing" for the camera

sydney cautiously blowing out her "fires"

macy and dayleah thoughtfully assisting sydney in the present opening :)


sydney's put her shoes on the wrong feet - i was so busy that morning i didn't notice until she was opening presents!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I had totally forgotten about the birth date thing until you posted about it. That is so you, because who else would take the time to process that? Your brain, it moves to fast for me!

Happy Birthday, Sydney! She is getting so big and just lovely. I can't wait to see the girls and finally meet Brody soon!