Monday, September 12, 2005

Sydney's EGD

Sydney has acid reflux and was on Zantac for a few months. When she would grow we would have to adjust the dosage amount and this last time increasing the dose didn’t work. We switched to Prevacid but she was still spitting up and was crying from the pain. Wednesday of last week she spit up something that looked like a blood vessel in a piece of chicken. I called our pediatrician (Dr. DeMoss) and he said it probably wasn’t blood because typically that looks like coffee granules but he referred us to a gastroenterologist to check things out anyway. Thursday Sydney spit up coffee granules so they told me to take her to the children’s emergency room to have a full work-up done. On the way there Dr. DeMoss’s office made an appointment with the gastroenterologist for 7:15 the next morning and said if Sydney was stable we could take her back home and wait for the Friday morning appointment – that is what we did.

The gastroenterologist, Dr. Winesett, ordered an EGD and an Upper GI (I found that out this morning). The EGD is a procedure that requires her to be under anesthesia. He will go in with a scope and look for anatomic problems that may be causing the reflux. He will also take a pinch of tissue to test for inflammatory changes (which indicates damage from the reflux) or for a cell that, if present, would indicate an allergic reaction to something in my diet.

Dr. Winesett also ordered an Upper GI – Sydney would drink a 2 oz barium drink and a special x-ray machine will watch the liquid go through her body.

The EGD is Wednesday (9/14) at 8:30. Stephen is in Charlotte until Thursday morning so Ashley Mozingo has offered to go with me to have the procedure done. I am so thankful because she is a pediatric nurse AND a great friend! The Upper GI is scheduled for Friday but we may decide not to have it done unless it is still medically necessary after we hear what Dr. Winesett sees on Wednesday.

Wednesday morning will be hard for me because Sydney will have not eaten all night and I will have to wake her up, drop Abby off at Molly Burns house and then be at the Children’s Hospital with a hungry baby at at 7:45. I will then have to hand her off at 8:30 and I am sure she will be starving and crying. The hospital said if everything goes well I will be back with her at 9:00 in recovery, though.

Please pray that Stephen and I will have wisdom in making decisions following the procedure and that God will guide the anethisist and Dr. Winesett during the procedure. Please also pray that I will be calmed by The Peace That Passes Understanding and that I will remember how good and sovereign God is when I am sitting in the waiting room.

I do have a praise – Sydney didn’t spit up AT ALL Saturday and that has not happened since she was born. We originally thought it was because we were giving her the Prevacid correctly but we did the same thing on Sunday and today and she is still spitting up but there isn’t any more blood. I think the Lord stopped her spit up to allow the area to heal. I know that is bold but it’s the only explanation I have right now.

I really do covet your prayers throughout this process!

No comments: